Dashboard with an overall date/time range picker

I have several datasets with timestamped rows. I am trying to make several dashboards based on these datasets, with different cardinalities (i.e. different primary columns for grouping); so I believe I need several worksheets to back the visualizations that will go on the board. I would like to have a single date-time range picker (or, ok, a picker for Start and a picker for End), and have the visualizations always filter correctly. I am finding a way forward that involves adding a parameter to every worksheet and filtering those rows, but this feels counterintuitive. In particular I imagine adding new visualizations and expecting them to “just work”. What is the idiomatic way to do this in sigma?

If you can’t just use the date range filter because of how you need to structure your charts and worksheets, you can use the date range picker to pass values to a “Start Date” and “End Date” parameter.
You can use the same control to apply a dashboard filter on visualizations that it works for, and use the parameter work around when it doesn’t. I put step by step directions on setting up the date range picker to pass values to parameters below.

Parameters in the Date Range Picker

Set up the Worksheet

1. Create a [Start Date] parameter and set default value to Jan 1 1900, or any date before the earliest date in your data.
  2. Create [End Date] parameter and set the default value to Dec. 31, 2060, or any date far enough in the future that it is unlikely to be present in your data
  3. Create the column [Date Filter] and define it as [DATE] >= [Start Date] and [DATE] <= [End Date] where [DATE] is your column of dates, and [Start Date] and {end Date] are the parameters you just created.
  4. Filter [Date Filter] to show only true values

Set up the Dashboard

1. Add your visualizations to the new dashboards
  2. Got to the chart menu of one of your visualizations, choose “Parameter” and Choose “start Date”
  3. Change Control Type from “Date Picker” to “Date Range”
  4. Go down to the section labeled Target and find + Add Action
  5. Click Add Action
  6. For ‘Action’ choose ‘Set Parameter’ then choose ‘End Date’ and click 'Max Value.
  7. You should now have two actions, One that sets the Parameter “Start Date” with the Minimum Value, and one that sets the Parameter “End Date” with the Maximum value.
  8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for all of the targets that should be affected by this date filter.
1 Like

Thanks! The “Max value”/“Min value” is the thing that I didn’t realize i could do when I was looking at the UI.

I am trying to accomplish this in Workbook instead of worksheet/dashboard. Is there any way we can pass the date_range filter to a parameter in the SQL?